DON’T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK
1. What is the poem about?
Ans. The poem tells about the fear of darkness and how to overcome that fear.
2. What happens when the day is over?
Ans. When the day is over, the moon and the stars shine in the night.
3. What does the earth do when the day is over?
Ans. The earth rests when the day is over.
4. What does the poet want us to do at night?
Ans. The poet wants us to be friends at night.
5. Are these sentences True or False.
(a) The poet tells the child to be afraid when it is dark.
(b) The poet says that stars will always shine at night.
(c) The poet tells the child to think of friends after it is dark.
6. Word Building
Ans. (i) moon + light = moonlight
(ii) break + fast = breakfast
(iii) good + night = goodnight
(iv) day + break = daybreak
(v) water + fall = waterfall
(vi) rain + bow = rainbow
7. Find a word in the poem which is the opposite of
8. Now, write the full forms of the following words.
9. Are you afraid of the dark? Why?
Ans. Yes, I am afraid of the dark, because I can’t see anything when it is dark.
10. What do you do when it is dark?
Ans. I call my mother when it is dark.
11. Have you ever been very frightened? Tell your partner about it.
Ans. Once I was all alone at my home. And the lights went out. There was darkness everywhere. I got frightened. I called my mother out of fear. But there was no answer, as she was not at home. This made me cry loudly. I cried for almost ten minutes. After some time, Sharma Aunty, our neighbor, knocked at our door when I opened the door, I became quiet. She had a candle in her hand and consoled me. I went to her home till my parents returned.
12. What is the word that starts with ‘t’, rhyme with ‘cease’, and means to playfully make fun of?
13. What is the word that starts with ‘c’, rhymes with ‘near’ and ‘fear’, and means easy to see, hear and understand?
14. Imagine life without the sun.
Ans. Survival of life will become very difficult.
15. What are the things that may happen if there is no sunlight?
Ans. Following things may happen:
(i) Climate will become cold.
(ii) Moonlight and stars will continue to shine.
(iii) Those who are afraid of darkness will become frightened forever.
(iv) In the absence of sunlight, electrical light will become necessary for everyone.
16. Now complete the following sentences, choosing the right word.
(a) The sum was _____ difficult for the class to solve. Only ____ students could do it. (two, too)
Ans. too, two.
(b) There was only ____ boy, who ____ the prize. (one, won)
Ans. one, won.
(c) The golden ____ was very ____ to him. (dear, deer)
Ans. deer, dear.
(d) Ramu’s son loved to play in the _____ (sun, son).
Ans. son, sun.